Bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Friday, April 8, 2016

Grown Up

I was standing outside before the porch of our home with my hands soaked in mud silently looking at my mother’s face. A light colored cotton saree was complimenting her beautifully. Her eyes were blacker like I always had seen outlined with kohl. Her eyebrows were frowning, forming vertical scales on the skin of her forehead behind her bewitching big red bindi. “Wash your hands first, dare you soil the walls with your muddy hands. Next time you eat that mud and I will lock you in the bathroom”, She tried to scare me. My face exhibited every emotion that I would cry. My eyes were begging for sympathy. I was oblivious to why couldn’t I eat the mud when plants could. A tear rolled down from my eyes as she washed my hands. “Take a sip of water and throw it out. Mud contains germs, you will get sick! Do you understand? Say yes if you do. Say yes!” She was trying to teach me in an authoritative voice. I nodded my head in affirmation and  took a mouthful sip of water and spitted it out. I went to my room to play with my sister.
Twenty five years later, I was standing at the porch of my home, my hands sopping in turmeric paste. I was asked to imprint both of my hands on the wall of our house. That time I wanted my mother to stop me, to tell me to go and wash my hands. To tell me if I wash them thoroughly then only I could enter the home. As tears rolled down from my eyes, a voice from behind came, “touch this wall here with your hands.” With eyes filled with tears I looked at my mother’s face, her big red bindi was still there right between both of her eyebrows. Her nose was red. This time only, her eyes outlined with kohl were in tears too. I had grown up…

P.S. After the wedding ceremony, as per north Indian tradition, a daughter is asked to imprint her hands with turmeric paste on the wall of her house before sending her off with the groom.
P.P.S. Writing this part was more difficult for me than I thought as it took me back in time.

G is for Grown up on April 8

Image credits: Google

42 comments:

  1. Good one Sheshai and emotional too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shesha...unable to find the suitable words of appreciation....just too good....

    ReplyDelete
  3. A heart warming post Shesha how memories makes our mind flicker:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It took me back to my wedding day :) A beautiful memory revisited, thanks for sharing such a touching post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad it could touch the chords of your Heart Sulekha...

      Delete
  5. So poignantly beautiful. It's always best when it comes from the heart.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a poetry of life. Sundar bahut sundar!

    ReplyDelete
  7. An emotional post. I wonder what your mom would have written about this if she was a blogger :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is a poet and writer herself. I did talk to her this morning and I was hoping she hadn't read it because I didn't want her to get emotional. She said to me, "finally you have written something good. This is your comeback." She had already read it.
      You know I should ask her, if she was in my place what she would have written!
      (though these things, these are fresh in our minds and tough to deal with at the moment, at least for me.)
      Thankyou CRD :)

      Delete
  8. Beautiful. Love the innocent logic by a child that if plant can eat it why can't I. Very nice

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG ! such a sentimental post, hit my heart directly.. wonder how your mom is reading this.. love and hugs to you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hugs and love was really what I need the day I wrote this. Thankyou so so much for it. :)
      I too wonder what did my mother go through as nothing much she said except telling me on phone that I have written something really good after a long time. I am so glad you liked it.

      Delete
  10. Loved it! With tears rolling down!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Shweta. I think all women would relate to this. I remember when you left after your wedding I was standing with my mother hugging her tightly badly in tears. This parting is always painful...

      Delete
  11. ohh that feeling of leaving home... so beautiful and touching. Well narrated.

    A Whimsical Medley
    Twinkle Eyed Traveller

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loved it! With tears rolling down!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aww! This is such a beautiful and heartfelt post! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great. Meri bahan kitni badi ho gayi.
    Aaj phir se rona aa gaya.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Speachless...... Tears in my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know the day I wrote it, I had them too. It is same for all of us... Thankyou for your comment :)

      Delete
  16. Ahh. Very heart warming. Very emotional. I have no further words.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Can't explain that feeling but you have done it so beautiful..my heart sink as I read it...wow shesha...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mithi in bachpan changes to Heldi after marriage! (Clapping)
    Very Emotional post Mirror di :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. The post made me smile Chaturvedi and why do Indian parents always threaten to lock us in bathroom by the way? Ha! The north Indian rites that we are so attuned with and Haldi to bear the imprint of the leaving bride on the wall listening to her childhood whispers is so significant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Vishal you pointed that out first :D probably after playing wih water, bathrooms are wet and lonely place. We cant even reach highly placed shampoo bottles to create some bubbles in our leisure time :p

      Delete

Thankyou for your feedback :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...