Bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Friday, April 1, 2016

America - a whole new opposite world…

I have been wed for four months now, first time away from my parents, siblings and home and yet at home. Two months back I moved to the city of Sacramento in California. During my first initial adjustment weeks, I was in my observatory phase. "We have bigger malls and taller buildings back in Delhi. This place doesn’t inhabit many people either. It looks so vacant." I mumbled to GK (my husband, as I fondly call him) comparing the place with my previous den. Traveling to new places and relocating to a new place both have different responses on our mind. I was struggling with similar dilemma. Rather than enjoying this new place, for the first time I was judging it. During first three weeks America confused me a lot. I found everything got reversed here. Entering inside the lift at airport was my first awakening, there was no ground or zero floor in it. Here they call it first floor. The time zones, the driving rules and the simplest things like units of measurement everything upturned. Weights in pounds, distance in miles, volume in ounces/gallons, temperature in Fahrenheit seemed like learning a whole new language. Automobile fuel (petrol) is called gas here even when it is in the liquid state. Live wire also changed its color from red to black (as GK told me).

While going out, I always ended up opening the left door of our car to be on the passenger side. All the traffic rules are opposite to what I have been following back at home. Driving on the right side with driver’s seat on left, free turns on right and so many different signs drawn on the roads each meaning something different. For one month GK patiently directed me to the passenger’s seat. One day I opened the car’s door to sit, he already on the driver’s seat said, let us both share this seat today and drive together. At home whenever my attention shifted to switches, with an intent to switch off the lights I ended up switching them on. I thought I have adjusted to everything around, when one day I was absent-minded, trying to plug my charger into the socket and unable to insert the pins, I found another inversion:

A is for America on April 1 

28 comments:

  1. yes america is really upside down and its always akes adjusting when i go there annually once a year one my firm's divisional meet!!

    www.myunfinishedlife.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow!
    This is fun. I can relate to you as I experienced many such things during my visit to US. They say that they protest against Britishers and thats why they do not follow their style that the world has got accostumed to.
    The last inverstion statement got me laughing hard!
    Keep going.I enjoyed reading this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah Shine. I read that explanation on Quora too. Though for the migrating population it becomes a challenge. However I feel I have settled now, initial phase was a little difficult on mind... haha
      Those Sockets, they looked like some *in the shock* smilies to me :))

      Delete
  3. Oh yes, it's all topsy turvy outside India. During my recent visit to Kuwait, I experienced all that too. Trying to open the driver's door in a cab once was so embarrassing! While on the road, I always had a feeling that we are going on the wrong side or some vehicle will bang into us... so much we are used to our ways. It takes time to adjust! Hope you do so pretty early. Good to see you participating for the challenge Shesha and this made for an interesting read! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine you being embarrassed opening the driver's door. It made me laugh! I can so much relate to you, I too feel that while walking on other side of the road. Thankyou for your love and support Shilpa. This means a lot :)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Vaibhav. Though I am yet to figure out why you found this post incomplete!

      Delete
  5. Of course from my viewpoint (United States), everything is opposite, too. I've never been to India but one of my cousins lived there for three years, and my father was stationed there for part of World War II. Followed! Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree east is opposite to West too :D Absolutely! We have similar points to get confused about :D

      Delete
  6. Yes, living there is a case of opposites. Loved the punch (image) at the end. They are indeed looking lost :D Happy A to Z!

    Do visit www.iluvfiction.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by Ruchi. I am delighted you enjoyed the post and that image! :D

      Delete
  7. Very Nice Post...

    Welcome in the letter "A"... thank you!
    Jeremy [Retro]
    AtoZ Challenge Co-Host [2016]

    Stop over and find a free "SIX STRINGS: BLOGGING AtoZ CHALLENGE" Here: http://www.jmhdigital.com/

    HOLLYWOOD NUTS!
    You know you want to know if me or Hollywood... is Nuts?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey...I can imagine your struggling phase ....n I know many of us face these issues......but still this place has strong affinity for youth n Ppl out the world....n I knw ur experience will continue like this....happy letter A

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks a ton Sheetal. I agree this place has lot of charm especially to the youth across the globe! Thanks a ton for dropping by :)

      Delete
  9. Hehehe... A good read n great to hear your upside down experiences ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Though I still wonder some times... "Asli angrez kaun hain!?" :-D

      Delete
  10. That's an interesting take on different cultures, US and India, the mall and all!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL! Shesha, the last part was hilarious.
    The sockets and the light switches that turn on when up. I can relate to you with this experience 100 percent but in the case my travel to India.
    From the land of instant hot water in every faucet we turn to the motherland where every morning, the one common phrase that is uttered in almost every common household-- "Geyser On kar do".
    This time around, I brought it back with me. For the first whole week, I'd wake up and hollar to my husband--"Geyser on kar do" and we'd both look at each other and burst out into laughter.
    What I mean is to say is that every place has it's own way of being. The fact that you are willing to adjust is what makes adjusting easier.

    Love you, Shesha.
    Keep posting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha I can so much Imagine you saying that... 'Geyser on Kar do' hahaha
      You are absolutely right, when we are willing to adjust, adjusting gets easier...
      Love you too Pooja! :)

      Delete
  12. Welcome to California. You will love it here. I have been living in USA my entire life. That too in California (SF Bay Area). The one thing I still cannot comprehend is changing of the time every six months back and forth. Spring forward (the clock by one hour). Fall back (the clock by one hour).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha yeah! I just experienced it a month back :D My mother was amused after hearing about that.
      Thankyou soo much SG for the warm welcome :)
      We are neighbours then, atleast as of now :D

      Delete
  13. When I first came.it confused me as well specially units..but now with time I have realized that Americans do everything opposite of that of British ppl...so now things are little easy though I still look the temp in centigrade. Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here Charu and its easy for me to talk to somebody from India or Europe about current temperatures :D

      Delete
  14. Love the way you have sum up every little observations. .

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for your feedback :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...