Bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Desi-Plight

I often used to hear the word desi from one of my friends living in America from many years now. He told me that it was a synonym for the word ‘Indian’ in US. While in Hindi the word ‘Desi’ (derived from Desh- meaning country) is used as an adjective to describe ‘of one’s own country, I thought maybe it was a Punjabi thing.  When I came here in US, I noticed that the term Desi was ubiquitous here. I observed ‘Desi’ is especially mentioned as an additional information on the banners of beauty parlors and even some people named their stores as ‘Desi Mart’ or ‘Desi Indian Bazar’. My plight had no end when on the packet of ‘Kala Chana’ the translation read as ‘Desi Chickpea’ instead of 'Black Chickpea' or ‘Indian Chickpea’. So here, this word from Hindi Language became a noun from an adjective. 
I wonder how do they write it in India now, I never noticed before. 

Common name: Indian Chickpea/Black Chickpea
Proper name: Desi Chickpea
P.S. Rather than being a Pardesi (a foreigner) here I am a Desi now (of this land Indian).


D is for Desi on April 5

12 comments:

  1. Hahahhahahahah.....yo man..this is the desi pan of our India people lived them like this....

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha...dat makes it true dat Indians are global desi :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. In India there is a brand Global Desi :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yepp! I know that :) May be it is inspired by popularity of this term used here for Indians...

      Delete
  5. It's called Kala Chana and have never read a label for the same as desi chick peas :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe is there any translation below Kala Chana Label? I too remember the same in India... :D

      Delete
  6. Wow! That's great in a way, somehow it might give one a feeling of belongingness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! Thats another perspective of looking at things :)

      Delete
  7. Desi Chick Peas....how do I comprehend it!! Many meanings coming to culprit mind, first visit to US does that to everyone Shesha...enjoy your stay!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha let your imagination stick to the image of Desi-Chickpeas above... Thanks Hemant... :D

      Delete

Thankyou for your feedback :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...