Bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Friday, April 25, 2014

Wastage- Habits, Lessons and Introspections!

We Indians especially middle class families know how to use, recycle and re-use. Our old torn out clothes become dusting clothes, or old glass tumblers become vases for money plants. We lick last drop of honey from the jar or squeeze toothpaste’s last remains before throwing them. I went for a stay at my friend’s place and tube of some medicinal cream that I had to apply got finished. Her cousin came in the room with a scale in her hand and she squeezed the tube with it. I was impressed as I got enough cream for the night. She said, “I use my cream tubes this way, I hate wasting!” I learned another way of managing during crises.


My parents have always been against wastage be it in any form. They always taught us never to leave food in our plate, rather take less and fill your plate again. There are many people in this world who don’t get stomach full of two meals a day. We have learned to count our blessings since childhood and try not to waste things.
My mother has been against throwing food in dustbin. So whenever we have extra breads, or that last thick loaf of bread or extra rice, we keep them outside our house for birds and squirrels which they readily munch.

Also I collect the wheat flour spread on kitchen slab while making Chapatis, and keep it outside for ants. For us it is nothing but for ants it is a treat.
 

I remember my first visit to one of my father’s friends Mr. Anupam Mishra who is an environmentalist and water conservationist [Read his full bio here:Anupam Mishra or find him on wikipedia]. He talked about water scarcity in various areas and how difficult it is for inhabitants of some of the parts of rural Rajasthan to gather water. They walk many miles, carrying huge utensils to meet their daily needs. While they struggle for their daily water needs, we use it here carelessly. He gave us a small example of his household on how water can be used judiciously. After washing vegetables, instead of throwing water in drainage pipes, we can give it to plants. We concurred with him.
I have seen many people leave their water taps running while brushing their teeth- water there can also be saved. There are times when we have to call our neighbors to remind them to switch off their motors to stop their overflowing water tanks. Sometimes it gets embarrassing to call them repeatedly but we should be raising plants, or putting that water out for birds rather than letting it go in drainage pipes. Not everybody even in metros get enough water for their need. We need to respect our blessings and stop wastage.
 

P.S. See Mr. Anupam Mishra's TED talk here:


Are you against wastage too? Do you have any story to share? If you haven't thought about this before, has this post inspired you? 
W is for Wastage, on April 26
A to Z Challenge

P.P.S. I have shared very small things that we can do without making much efforts. Saving and wasting both are easy- we can pick one and make a difference!

33 comments:

  1. Shesha, It is very true that we must waste anything. Have you seen the left overs in a party/weddings/ restaurants. It is a pity that so much food is wasted every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True mam! There are some organizations who take care of extra food in marriages! However every person should remember ether to seek help of these organizations or to take up the task of distributing excessive food to hungry! I wish people at least get food to survive, nobody should die out of hunger!

      Delete
  2. Excellent post! At our home too we try to recycle, reuse to whatever extent we can. We re-use the gray water from the kitchen for watering the plants, do our own composting, and several other things. It is the only way we can prevent further destruction of the environment and precious resources. Wasting water and food really pinches me. Very important message in today's post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beloo! So true we can certainly ensure long term health of this plant by sustainable living!

      Delete
  3. I hate wasting things too and especially food!! I liked the idea of keeping the flour on the slab for ants. Usually we wipe it off and discard it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked your post, and agree with you, my mom too was very particular, and was very smart to make new menu with left overs, and she would insist that we take little, and if require than take more, but not waste food. Water and electricity are also to be used sparingly... giving away the extra clothes to the needy (the ones which can be used) and also leaving the left over to the birds are useful ways of avoiding wastage, thank you for sharing ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have learned that from my mother to make new recipes from excess food! Your way of living is a mindful living! It is wonderful to see humans taking care of everyone in the ecology along with themselves :)

      Delete
  5. Shesha, I do everything you described in the post. What is called green living today has been practiced for decades :) And yes, instead of a scale, I use the rolling pin to squeeze tubes.

    Great post! I recommended your blog in my post today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou so much Vidya mam for the recommendation and sharing your views on this post! ! True green living has been practiced for decades and has been imbibed in us by our parents in the form of values! We will take these precious learning further to next generations!

      Delete
  6. I don't like waste but I am not fanatical about it. Environmental responsibility is drummed into us here in Australia from childhood. If you can re use things, well and good but sometimes it's just better to throw them away.After all, people have jobs making new things. There is a proposed plan by our council to start paying people to return/recycle their cans and bottles. Just a small amount per unit as an incentive, but some businesses are protesting because they they it will lead to a loss of jobs in the manufacturing sector. Honestly, I think the obsession with environmental issues is ludicrous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey DA Cairns! Thanks for your feedback on this topic! Sometimes it is good to throw somethings away. Here in India picture is different than in Australia! There is a huge gap between purchasing power of people belonging to different class! Here some people enjoy king size luxury and others do not get a stomach full of two meals a day! So if we use- reuse- and recycle, we can reduce the burden on dumping grounds, which is also one of the major problems here! Also we should think about our ecology and different species around us, where we can! A sustainable living is always something that can help us in reducing the future issues with cleaning our environment! Here manufacturers are making enough to enjoy amazing profits! Prevention is better than cure--- so thinking of environmental issues and giving back to nature what we are extracting is a mindful act according to me!

      Delete
  7. I myself am guilty of water wastage. I tend to let the tap run while brushing and taking a shower.

    Thoughtful post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou CRD! I hope you are saving water now :) by taking care of running water and not by avoiding bathing or brushing :P :P

      Delete
  8. I really agree with you, Good one !

    ReplyDelete
  9. I live in a high desert area (Idaho) so water rights and usage is a huge deal here. My husband gets particularly upset when lawn watering is done at the hottest moment of the day. Avoiding waste,however, is much more complicated than recycling and using up what we have. Simply, we have a 70-year history of consumption run amok. Plastics are the most egregious example of this. Also, there is an argument that the benefits of recycling are vastly overstated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hie Glenda! Thanks for your feedback! I have heard about Idaho as one of my friend is doing his Phd from there! I absolutely agree with you, fighting wastage is much more than recycling and reusing, one should avoid it. Like saving water, saving non-renewable sources of energy. Here in India recycling is necessary because we see many unfortunate beings who can not afford basic things! So wastage to us seems like a hideous task! Also we should reduce the dumping burden on earth and turning some places from beautiful gardens into degraded grounds- we can do that by recycling or using things mindfully! :)

      Delete
    2. P.S. My friend told me how Idaho people dispose off their television sets! It was quite interesting! :D

      Delete
  10. Excellent, informative post.

    In America, we waste so very much. It truly breaks my heart because there should be
    enough resources for EVERYBODY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! That is so kind of you having these thoughts! Yes there should be enough resources for everybody. :)

      Delete
  11. Nice post. I avoid wastage as much as I can. The ants example is nice, I will suggest it to mom :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shine! :) It is good if we can give back to other species! They are benefiting us in some way or another :)

      Delete
  12. Very timely post.. We can't afford to wastages anymore. There is water scarcity that will engulf world in next few generations. Food wastage is a heinous act where so many people go without a meal. Appreciate the post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou so much Jayanta ji! True we can't afford wastage anymore! Apart from water is still recyclable but it should reach to everybody. Human lives are precious! I hope everyone gets enough to fill their stomach and survive decently!

      Delete
  13. totally agree with you.. What bugs me the most is when I see my friends take plate full of food and throw it away when not able to finish it.. I have tried reasoning with them but to no avail ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm! When we eat outside sometimes we tend to take more then our fills. It happens sometimes but it should not be a habit! Yes we should respect the things we are getting and should always remember there are people who are deprived of these!

      Delete
  14. Great ideas. Wastage must be avoided at all costs and reusing, recycling is a great idea. I water my plants with water drained after washing dals and lentils before cooking them. I find it helps them grow and flourish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even my mother does that! It saves water and helps plants to flourish well! Thankyou so much for your valuable feedback!

      Delete
  15. a brilliant post on stopping wastage of food and water. I often check our water consumption every month. Just to make sure, it doesn't increase a certain limit. The funny thing here is people don't waste much food, even though they have plenty. While indian weddings are the venue of food wastage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so thoughtful of you Raj! We don't check that! It is good that people do not waste food and we should be mindful towards food wastage during ceremonies in India! We can hire people to distribute excessive food to the hungry!

      Delete

Thankyou for your feedback :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...