Bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Monday, April 28, 2014

Yawn!

The word yawn is a haunting word to me. I yawned 6 times after keying first ten words of this post! Why this word ‘yawn’ is contagious? We see somebody yawning, or read the word somewhere or even hear it and we start yawning. When my friends while talking to me yawn, I just rebuke them not to yawn before me. Soon after that, I end up yawning too. The effect is not any milder even on phone calls. (Haven't you yawned yet?) On our encounter with this word we start breathing slow, our jaws open like a den of the lion- wide and huge and we start inhaling air! I have read when there is scarcity of oxygen in us, our mouth spreads and we yawn to influx oxygen in us. Some theories claim people yawn out of boredom or tiredness. (But there may be a different reason behind your yawning while reading this post!)

Why does it happen when we are neither bored nor tired but yawn as a counter reaction to somebody's yawning action? According to one of the evolutionary theories (as a friend told me), when animals feel drowsy or sleepy, they yawn to fight off their sleep. Psychological theories suggests yawning helps brain to stay alert. Hence the act of yawning helps animals to stay attentive from their predators. In addition, the contagious yawning has developed to keep the whole group watchful. Reason is the same in humans too. We have evolved but with some of our primitive traits in us! According to researchers, there is a connection between yawn and true love. Yawn passes from senders to receivers when relationships are close. Next time when you go on a date, you can check the chemistry with yawn-test! ;)
You may find these links interesting:
-You Yawn. She Doesn't Yawn Back...

-Contagious yawn test might determine if your partner still loves you









Y is for Yawn on April 29,
A to Z Challenge
Did this post make you yawn? I am sorry if it did :)
P.S. I have yawned infinite times, during writing this post, reading and re-reading the word "yawn", searching images on google and putting them here! Feeling tired!

Image courtesy: Google

16 comments:

  1. The best yawn is when it comes in the right time. :)

    PhenoMenon
    http://throodalookingglass.com/2014/04/yours-tastefully/

    ReplyDelete
  2. zzzzzz LOL on the contrary this post didn't make me yawn. Nice and informative! I wonder though why do babies seem to yawn more often than adults?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! Its good to know non-vulnerable folks! :)) Reason behind babies' yawning must be something else- probably because they sleep a lot! They are yawn-proof and hence for them yawn is not contagious! :)

      Delete
  3. And I yawned four times while reading this post not because of boredom but may be that's why we call it contagious. What a nice topic on Y :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe Hemant I am vulnerable to yawning too! :)) I am glad you liked it!

      Delete
  4. Nice discourse on Yawning :-)...The three beautiful pictures at the end made the post interesting...LoL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha I hope you they made you yawn (that was the intention!) :))

      Delete
  5. A cool perspective on Yawn and love reading it:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did not make me yawn!! The most interesting bit is "According to researchers, there is a connection between yawn and true love." Well well... Great blog and well done with the A to Z challenge! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes when I read about it I was thinking if my mom yawns when I do :)) LOL
      Thankyou so much Archana !!!

      Delete
  7. the most dangerous yawn is when you do that in a meeting right in front of the manager :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha! Oh God! That is scary! I remember I used to feel sleepy during meetings. In order to hide it my eyes used to pop-out to look attentive and lips sealed not to let yawn out! :))

      Delete
  8. I started yawning while seeing this post .....

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for your feedback :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...