Bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

The Ascetic

We were going to Uttarakhand (a state in North India) by car. The journey was long. Those were the winter days. The route was green and beautiful. Roads were topsy turvy and the journey was getting more tiring with the passing time. We decided to take a halt for some time. It was a chilly afternoon and the strong winds were making it worse. While we were enjoying the scenic beauty around, our eyes suddenly rested on an old man with dark complexion whose bone structure was visible from everywhere underneath his wrinkled skin that was covered by almost nothing. Apparently he looked like an ascetic or could be an ordinary beggar. He had some wheat flour, probably someone living down the hill might have given to him. He took it out and made dough out of it. He then collected some dry wood from around and created fire by rubbing two stone pieces (like in the stories from stone age) and cooked a chapati with it. We were amazed to see that, how a man at such a low temperature wearing almost nothing living in the wilderness arranged a meal for himself! And as he was eating it, he was crying out of joy, saying "Thank you God, for giving me food to eat, fire to be warm even in this place where there is nothing to survive. I am grateful to you, its because of you i am enjoying my fill with whatever i am having, I need nothing else thank you God for all the kindness you have bestowed upon me." And the tears of joy were constantly flowing out of his eyes..."

This was the real life story, told by my maternal uncle.
Contentment, a state of being in peace with whatever one has. I shared this story here with a hope that it will inspire us all to be happy about this life and we would work to attain that higher state of perfection of soul and true happiness and peace, the ultimate goal behind this life.

After Thoughts : Are we happy with what we have? Should we be unhappy about what we do not have? What is peace and satisfaction? What is ultimate Goal of our lives? Are we in the same state even after having everything that one needs and not desperately searching for what we do not have? I feel this instance gives depth to our thoughts and another perspective to see the world and our own lives..

7 comments:

  1. nice blog
    please visit my blog

    thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely story,I think my fav so far in your blog; but is life really about making peace with your circumstances?

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I look back, it's the simplest things that have been a reason of my joy and peace. I believe happiness is a state of mind :) Beautiful story with a wonderful moral.

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for your feedback :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...